I am not a blogger, so i don't know if i messed this up or not... :)
Personal Questions
1:
Jezabel:
Each volunteer/board member assigns to self for a given period of time (each
board meeting or every month, for example) and perhaps these tasks rotate,
almost like a chore list. The chore list would be established between all board
members (maybe from task list Dana compiled) and agreed upon based on priority.
The issue of “a new infrastructure” is a difficult one because not only is the
board taking care of all functional aspects (barely) of SML, but also the
Program as a whole. We don’t have higher-ups telling us what to do; if
structure is what we want, this is something that will need to be established
by us. In a sense, we will be our own “higher-ups”. Since we do not currently
have the funds for a “professional volunteer management personnel”, we must
establish our own priorities. All of us are busy. Who can take up this
responsibility?
Ideally,
there would e a volunteer coordinator who would keep track of the projects that
are undertaken by any given volunteer/board member. Daily tasks/rotating “chores”
are to be done. If a given volunteer/board member fails to complete given
tasks, we band together and give a pep talk or something. We can’t afford to “fire”
anyone at this point, nor do we want to lose someone who is interested in
furthering the library’s progress.
I
think more structure and accountability is necessary if we want to grow into a
larger, more involved (locally/globally) organization. Continuing as an
informal organization will get us informal recognition at best- at worst, it
will lead to an eventual decay of what we know as the SML.
Jacob:
Ideally, the Library would have many or all of the board there everyday, to
keep each other going and interested. Personally, if somebody is with me on
shift who is interested in the work we’re doing, this acts as a prompt for me
to do more work. One thing I don’t believe I’ve experienced at the library is a
group oriented task, conceived and completed, such as a work party—the closest
was some past events. Not to mention the menial tasks are more bearable with
others...I don’t mind finding things to do on my own, and I’d rather a choice
than rules in stone, but I wouldn’t mind some assigned tasks for each week,
myself. The important thing is encouragement, in all of this, because it’s
difficult for me, personally to want to do mundane tasks if they’re repetitive
and all I have is a great silence to whisper to me along the way. What we can
expect is that if things continue as they are, we’ll remain as we are, until
eventually entropy sets in. My own accountability leaves much to be desired, but
I’m willing to do what I can, if anyone has ideas, to work on this, and I
accept the boards decision in my regard. On record, I am willing to open up one
of my free days (along with Sunday) to working with parties on projects of
Library interest.
Notes:
There seems to be a lack of unity and shared interests. We are divided in
passions (as far as specifics.) sure, we all love sml and metaphysics, but
there is little encouragement to do what one is interested in individually. A lack
of support in one’s dreams and aspirations in the library. How do we create the
support and encouragement that (hopefully) all of us would like to see shared between
each other?
Work
party ideas: rather than 2 board meetings a month, have 1 b.m. and one w.p. to
accomplish shared goals. Field trips? Find ways to bond with each other and
establish a sense of community between us; we will be more and more compelled
to help each other out in our dreams and aspirations if a sense of community is
present! Social aspects/desires vs. Obligatory responsibilities? It’s easier to
whistle while you work whhen there are others whistling with you.
2:
Jezabel:
Personally, I like phone calls or face to face interaction in addition to
e-mail/text reminders if i have committed to something or there is an action
item (date, project due, etc).
Jacob:
Phone, as of now. I would use email/facebook, etc., if access were convenient
(such as at the Library. I would prefer to meet personally more, with those who
have the time and willingness...
3:
Jezabel:
Tuesday, Thursday evenings from 7-9. Sat/Sun mornings
Jacob:
Tues; Thurs; Sat morning...
Work
party ideas: rather than 2 board meetings a month, have 1 b.m. and one w.p. to
accomplish shared goals.
Field
trips? Find ways to bond with each other and establish a sense of community
between us; we will be more and more compelled to help each other out in our
dreams and aspirations if a sense of community is present! Social aspects/desires
vs. Obligatory responsibilities? It’s easier to whistle while you work whhen
there are others whistling with you.
4.
Jezabel:Currently,
I am pretty open to cover for people if they want/need a shift off, but
willingness to come in daily is lacking. My availability is bound to change
soon, because of work situation. Sunday works well for me at the moment. My
commitment is strong in the sense that it’s likely that I will continue to show
up for my shift; I notice a waning interest to pursue the goals I set for
myself, partially because of lack of encouragement, but more because of my own
inner conflicts. I don’t want to become simply a warm body that opens the
library to the public, but want active involvement. Really, I’d like a swift
kick to the butt.
Jacob:
I am willing to continue with Sundays. My limitations are mostly moral and
creative. I believe in the Library and and what it represents, and its
potential to be more than it is. I have roots within this organization, and I’d
like to find more ways to bring seeds to it’s soil that may become lush,
fruitful forests of life, intelligence, truth and Love.
5.
Jezabel:
I love helping visitors feel at home. The hospitality aspect is one of my
favorites, and would be the library hostess if I could. I love hearing about
visitors’ interests and passions, about their struggles and triumphs. I love listening
to visitors and feel pulled to mother them, like a lost puppy (lol, not quite,
really, but just about). At my best, I am able to observe someone for a short
period of time and be able to point out the qualities that they exhibit and
encourage them to keep at something (if they need or want it). I am much like a
sponge or... chameleon; I adapt to my environment well, if it means survival
(mundane and interpersonal)- at times this makes me miserable, but it’s
something that I’m good at, perhaps i have an opportunity at the library to do
something useful with it. What it might be, I’m not exactly sure.
I
can’t quite give concrete time limitations as i’m not sure what i’ll be doing
with myself “career”-wise. Maybe i’ll go to school, maybe i’ll continue working
at a job I hate. Who knows. I know I can realistically commit to Sundays and
whatever board meetings we have (tenatively).
Jacob:
I have creative skill, and feel that my greatest contribution to the library in
the past, and wiil be in the future, is through organizing and leading events
and accomplishing Artistic endeavors that lead others to SML, along with making
social contacts at weird events. As we’re typing, I have a dozen or so workable
ideas, some half-complete, that, with a little follow –through could be
finished. It would be useful to me to, ideally, have another creative type to
run ideas by and collaborate with, or, as well, someone to check-in with
periodically, to follow up on said acts...
Agenda
Items:
1:
Changing
the name “SML” to something else might be too confusing for past, current, and
future members/visitors. Not many old members know SML (or if they do, they don’t
say so) as the “as-you-like-it” library. Most people refer to the SML as the
SML. As far as “branding” is concerned, do we think that SML gives
donors/benefactors what they need? Dunno. If anything, I would say to drop the “Seattle.”
Should we be more inclusive, like “Peoples” Meta-Lib, etc.
As
a side note, i think that if people see us as an old, stale library full of
interesting books but unmotivated volunteers, they won’t want to be involved.
Mostly benefactors would see something like this, but we might want to present
ourselves as being young, fresh, hip, knowledgeable.
2.
Events,
Internet presence: put someone officially in charge of this task.
3.
I
think volunteers give their time partially because of a passion/interest, but
more so because of a desire to connect
with others that share these passions/interests. Holding volunteer orientations
(monthly, perhaps) where there are light refreshments and bonding activities
along with a light briefing will not only inform volunteers, but help with
retention and morale.
4.
Mentioned
above briefly, I think that a volunteer orientation would greatly decrease the
amount of meeting time that is being taken up with banter over procedures.
5.
Recently,
I started a small project that included using the card catalogue rather than
the books out binder to make calls/verify that the numbers/contact information
for the members was correct. If not able to reach via phone for whatever
reason, I began a list of e-mails and leads on possible web-sites where to find
them. I would e-mail them with which books are overdue and with a prompt to
renew. (this might also include some light fb stalking to see interests, where
they live, etc. Maybe we could have them more interested if we had notes on
what they like??)
6.
If
we band together with other organizations, what would be lucrative for them to
let us? As of now, our pr are at a bare bone minimum, so would they really like
to be put up on a busy, distracting, yet mostly functional website as a result?
What would we do in return for a relationship with other organizations? Maybe
the Jungian library would like us. Coffee shops, not sure... It would be nice
to have a satellite library at a coffee shop like Black Coffee Co-Op, where young, hip
people who want to read about global and personal truths frequent. Renee and
Aaron stopped by last week and mentioned a satellite library somewhere like the
Market Ghost Tours, where Renee would be
working. A question here would be one of the honor system: there will probably
be theft of the books, and which books do we want to risk getting stolen? I
think it’s a risk to take for free advertising and a wonderful way for people
to learn about the library. People will be amazed by the variety that the
satellite library will have, and therefore compelled by the remaing collection
of over 15,000 books in the main library. Just a thought. We probably want to
get together with independent bookstores, such as Left Bank Books (I also like their
user-friendly, neat, organized, attractive website), and ask if they could
advertise us on their website, or keep us in mind when referring people to a
local business. I think it to be in our best interest to get in contact with
organizations such as these to get motivated, inspired, young people involved
with the SML.
7.
I
think 6 covers this one for me.
8.
I
think that classes at places like any of the above mentioned would be great.
Maybe not necessarily specific interest classes, but more of a general overview
of what the library has to offer. These would be more of outreach programmes
for others in an established community to come into ours and make connections
with others. I think creating a space would require unabashed willingness to
perhaps play a silly get to know you game that requires others to ste outside
of their comfort zone while at the same time getting others to share something
they are passionate about. It would requrire at least 2 of the board/regular
volunteers to attend such meetings/events. It would require us bringing tea to
said place. There are plenty of free places, Black Coffee is in the spot that
Travellers used to have their retail portion in, and offers their space for
free; of course, they are open to the public still during any meeting, but that
is the beauty of it, wandering people could be interested in what we have to
say!!!
9.
It
would be wonderful if we could collaborate with a few other organizations (TIA,
BILLY K, etc) to pool together resources for a wonderful, centrally located
space that could be shared. The library would need x amount of space as well as
the other organizations involved, but the more org. Collaborating, the better
space we can have, the more community built. There would be a central meeting
room, used for art, events, or general use. It would be nice to join (or have
our own) coffee/tea/beverage shop that would benefit the library.
My
dream for the Library has long been this: First, for it to be USED, the books
studied and researched and turned into work, personal and collective. For this
to happen, it must be exposed, however this happens. For it to have a
benefactor or benefactors who support the Library’s needs, and provide for the goals
of SML. For a teaching faction to be established, that the information may be
known and applied. Ultimately, this would take the form of a Bibliotech, rife
with conferences, organized staff, and all the funds necessary for this to take
place.
In 5 years, I would have it that we make
headway toward some of these fantastic ideations. At least, let’s put the books
to use...
Note:
Metaphysical Questionnaire
1 comment:
thank you!
Post a Comment